Tuesday 14 October 2014

Angel's Trumpet - Beautiful But Poisonous Hanging Flower

On the way to my office daily I used to see beautiful hanging flowers roadside. They were very attractive trumpet shape flowers and their petals were hanging from the stem. When it starts blooming it is white in color and when fully blooms, turns to peach color. One day I just plucked a flower and enjoying its beauty while waiting for the bus. But after some time my hands started itching and red rashes appeared. I could not do any office works that day and wondering suddenly what happened to me.  Afterwards I realized that my skin is allergic to that flower. I got some relief after applying first aid. After coming home I searched the web for some information on that flower and got to know very interesting facts.


This flower is called Angel's trumpet (Trumpet=a musical instrument) and scientific name is Brugmansia. Its a flowering shrub. Flowers are in variety of colors white, peach, yellow and orange. In Kannada it is called Dattura (ದತ್ತೂರ)or Tuttoori Hoovu (ತುತ್ತೂರಿ ಹೂವು). Entire plant and flower is listed in world's poisonous plants. They are native to South America. Toxin in the plant can cause diarrhea, nausea, confusion and dizziness.  An overdose can be fatal, or lead to coma with permanent damage to the eyes, heart and brain. Instances of death were also reported. Thats why I wonder why butterflies, bees and even insects wont come near those flowers. 


Many people love to grow the plant in their garden because of beautiful flowers. But they have to wear gloves while touching the plant. But now I never dare to touch the flower. 

No comments: